Friday 20 April 2012

Easter and Lent

The recent celebration of Easter is one that is recognised around the world, as it a time for Christians to come together and remember the resurrection of Christ. Many manufacturers use Easter, and the symbolism that it holds to tempt the public with chocolate eggs of all sizes and flavours. The eggs represent rebirth and recognise new life, which is something that is celebrated at this time of the year. Chocolate is considered a luxury, which is why so many people choose to present their loved ones with gifts. This is believed to have originated from areas in Europe such as Germany and France in the form of small chocolate eggs. As the distribution of cocoa grew, technology enabled more and more countries to create their own interpretations of the Easter egg. John Cadbury was the genius who introduced the chocolate egg to England in 1873. Now it is possible to buy eggs which include our favourite chocolate bars from supermarkets. Or if you are looking for a unique product, places such as Hotel Chocolat or Thorntons are ideal for beautifully crafted gifts.


Lent is a time when many people give up something that they love. Every year I try really hard to give up chocolate, and every time I fail miserably. I can't understand why something which should be so simple proves so difficult for me. For the first few days I’m fine, but when it gets to about a week in I find myself craving a Twix, my favourite chocolate bar of all. Then it is a downward spiral from there. Realistically, I know every time Lent comes around that I’m going to go through the same routine of promising my Mum that I’ll give chocolate up. But in my opinion, you shouldn’t have to give up something that you love, even if it is for six weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment