Tuesday 24 April 2012

What the professionals say

Whilst compiling my research I decided to look at what some professional chefs thought about chocolate.

In How to be a Domestic Goddess (2000), Nigella Lawson admits ‘I am not particularly keen on chocolate’ (164). This is something which I found surprising, I suppose I presumed that as a lover of delicious products, she wouldn’t be able to resist chocolate. However, she then continues to tell her readers that ‘there are times when only chocolate will do’ (164). With this, I could not agree more. Nigella feels that when it comes to cooking with this particular ingredient, that it is necessary to use one that is ‘extraordinarily, seductively good’ (164) as the quality of the chocolate can have an effect on the end product.

Rachel Allen devotes a chapter to chocolate in Rachel’s Food for Living (2009). She believes that ‘chocolate is almost an emotion in its own right! People who love chocolate often say they can’t live without it. This single food inspires such extraordinary passion that it seemed essential to dedicate an entire chapter to it.’ (189). I love her passion for chocolate, and I think it is important for people to see how it can inspire people to create wonderful and delicious treats.

Gordon Ramsay released his own brand of chocolate, Just Desserts, but according to the following article by Tom Kelly, he is less than impressed with the quality of the product, and even misquotes the price. It is a shame that such a famous chef dismisses his own product, stating 'I don't worry about the standard of the chocolates because they're £3.99.’ However, the manufacturer Ashbury Confectionery has dismissed the claims, informing us that 'The range has been very successful over the past four years and the number of repeat orders speaks for itself.’ The rest of the article can be found at: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-413051/Ramsay-criticises-brand-chocolates.html

No comments:

Post a Comment